sabato 6 ottobre 2012

Team ready, waiting for the boat.

First data collection! It took place in Alge, a Bayso village between the main road to Arba Minch and the Abbaya Lake. I made videos of the slaugtering of cows for the Baala festivity, corresponding to the Ethiopian Mesqel (the day of the finding of the True Cross), and, first of all, recorded the first stories and transcribed and translated the first text.
I visited the Abbaya Lake. It is amasingly beautiful. I entered the water, took pitcures standing on a boat, bought some fish (delicious!). The people welcomed me in a wondeful way. They adopted me and provided me whatever I needed. Water, food, bed, no problem. They are very curious about technonology even though they use mobiles and know very well what computers and internet are. I felt like we were exchanging our cultures, even if mine is dependent on machines.
I left Alge and headed Arba Minch to organise the boat that would take us to the Bayso's homeland, the island of Gidiccho in the Abbaya Lake. The other members of the team arrived after one week, but I stil did not succeed to provide the boat. In order to save money I tried to get the engine from the University for free and rent only the boat from a fishers' association. This is taken lot's of time because the responsible was not able to sign the authorisation. I just found out that it is because he was changed of position a couple of days ago and to keep the right to auhorise the use of the boat he needs a direct OK from the University President. He cannot get this OK tomorrow, Sunday. The appoitnment is for monday. Iwill go and collect the engine with our boat driver and together we sail to Alge from Arba Minch. We'll pass several small islands where nobody lives. I am ready with the video camera. The others will still go to Alge tomorrow. They have to work and there is too little time. I wish I could work too and I am so anxious to start and finish. Hope I can do that from tuesday.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento